About Player Stun

Stuff you would like to see in the world of Eliatopia.

The Core Player Stun Mechanic: What Fix Would You Support

iFrames (Invincibility Frames)
10%
Damage-Based Reactions
40%
Both
No votes
No Support, My Guy
50%

Total votes: 10

cinos
Re: About Player Stun

Post by cinos » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:59 am

MaxBlue01 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:01 pm
cinos wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:58 am

Dude just forget it, you're picking straws at this point. Just because you made a suggestion in a very different time for wizard pvp, doesn't mean we can't ever add poison breath. Seriously, do YOU have an actual suggestion besides "make wizard annoying again" or literally "remove expertise"?

This is lacking in creativity, and I say that after recommending a damage type.
Strange that you criticise mage class as "annoying" when a vast majority of players think the same about cowboys currently, both at late-game grind and PvP. Did you purposefully not mentionned that because you are yourself a cowboy using the easiest role? That you are unable to do auto-criticism?

Storm cloud was already a problem ever since HH: an auto-aim attack that ignore player position when the game is about mobility isn't fine. At all. i already suggested in one of my post that storm cloud should first be reworked to allow the players to see WHERE exactly the lightning will strike (like 1-2 sec before). Another idea i can add is that players hit by lightning slow down a bit (instead of being stunned) (like 10-20% slow down? Not exactly sure how movement speed work, since only warriors can change their movement speed).

Anyway back to the topic. The idea of stun (unable to move and attack for a short time) in action games is very often a strong (OP) feature, sometimes leading to stun-lock/perma-stun depending of the case, basically making the game near unplayable for the majority of players if such mechanic is abused.

- I-Frames: this is usually the way to prevent such exploits to happen. It is NOT limited to fighting games (there are games like Mario games). Let's precise however that it should be limited to a "stun-immunity" after being stunned once (like few seconds of stun immunity) (otherwise, if we allow i-Frames for any damage, cowboys will be un-playable and we will see cinos and co. cursing me for 50 years if robby allow i-frames on anything). This does NOT mean damage immunity, players will still take damage.

- damage based reactions: if all damage did that, warriors will have even less chance at killing players, since they often have the highest single-hit attack (while being the toughest to hit anyone else). This alone would also create problems at area borders and corners (especially in the hill arena), since then mages can keep players locked at one corner, regardless of knowckback. Also reminder: this isn't smash bros. It was added in Epic Battle Fantasy 5 for comical purposes (or just visual purpose), not as a physical gameplay mechanic to fix something.
There is major difference between a storm cloud which attacks on it's own and lets the wizard do what they want, over a gun you have to shoot someone with. Your comparison is bollocks because the gun does not throw you into the ground like the cloud. Storm cloud was easy to execute, required no effort because the opponent would literally be unable to move, and had a lot of range...a gun shoots you and requires active effort, plus you can still move away and heal, your fault if you don't. Your only true comparison is "I find it annoying", they are vastly different.

If anyone seriously wants to bring storm cloud stun back, I would recommend a lobotomy.
WELCOME TO THE AGE
OF THE CEBINAE!!!1111

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:54 pm

parrying would be good too

we_can

Post by we_can » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:05 pm

Sigma wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:54 pm
yeah but there would have to be some sort of blocking/shielding mechanic in the game first
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmblXu9kpizGeIwMNLHWPvQ

og warrior

cinos

Post by cinos » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:09 am

we_can wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:05 pm
Sigma wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:54 pm
yeah but there would have to be some sort of blocking/shielding mechanic in the game first
I've conceptualized a shield rework for this, since basically anyone rn agrees that it's not right to be able to destroy whipmasters by just healing with a shield, or mitigate any warrior 1v1 that doesn't have both parties use shields. It should actually have a more reliable, skill based mechanic, since right now all that happens with reflection is that you never get it to reflect when you want it, but it always reflects when it feels the cheapest. It is RNG, the most unsatisfying mechanic in the game arguably since it requires no setup...since there IS none, the numbers do the work for you, when something like this should be as cool as the best moment in all of competitive street fighter.
WELCOME TO THE AGE
OF THE CEBINAE!!!1111