Some combat changes.

Stuff you would like to see in the world of Eliatopia.
Jakub34
Some combat changes.

Post by Jakub34 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:12 am

Explanation about 2 handed weapons being useless

This is to mainly be targeted at 2 handed weapons for mages and warriors, due to how useless they were in Helmet Heroes. Staves were only needed for players just starting off as a mage, and 2 handed weapons for warriors really never served a purpose or served very little purpose, because dual wielding out damaged 2 handed weapons. Unless a player invested their stats the worse possible way, they would have no issue dealing with enemies around the Beholder/Kreeton range. For enemies at Repguana or higher, the player would begin booking, which will quickly make a 2 handed weapon for safety useless.

The good good

Each class (Gunman is wonky to work with due to different gun attack speeds?) will have different types of weapons that a player can choose to fit their play style. Instead from the plain old "This weapon just does more damage but you can only hold in 1 hand" or something along the lines of that, each weapon comes with their own benefits.

The x% chance based on x% blah blah blah is based on the weapon's level and weapon type. For example, a level 100 dagger might have a 10% chance to apply this effect for 15% of player's whatever, but a level 100 sword would have a 15% to apply an effect for 25% of the player's whatever.

Warrior Weapons

The weapons for warriors will be divided up into three different types. Small weapon, medium weapons, and large weapons.

Small weapons will consist of daggers and other small weapons. They swing the fastest, but they have the lowest range and do the least damage. Small weapons are 1 handed, meaning you can dual wield them, or hold them with a shield.

Daggers: Have an x% chance to apply a bleeding affect, which does x% of player's total damage a second.

Medium weapons will consist of swords, axes, and maces. (Maybe spears as a type, but I feel like that is just pushing it) Medium weapons are the in between of small and large weapons. They do not do the most damage, but do not do the least. They do not swing the fastest, but do not swing the slowest, and etc. Medium weapons are one handed like small weapons, however, maces cannot dual wielded, but you can still wear a shield with them.

Medium weapons from strongest to weakest: Maces > Axes > Swords

Medium weapons from fastest to slowest: Swords >= Axes > Maces

Swords: Have an x% chance to do a critical hit for x% damage. (Going above 100% has a chance to roll another critical hit. Critical hit bonus is additive with other bonuses, unless stated otherwise.)

Axes: Have an x% chance to apply a bleeding affect, which does x% of player's total damage a second.

Maces: Have an x% chance to ignore x% chance of the enemies defense.

Large weapons will consist of great swords, battleaxes, and war hammers. Large weapons are the slowest, but the strongest and offer the most range. Large weapons are 2 handed, therefore you can only have the weapon equipped with nothing else.

Great swords: Have an x% chance to do a critical hit for x% damage, and an x% chance to apply a bleeding affect, which does x% of player's total damage a second.

Battleaxes: Have an x% chance to ignore x% of the enemies defense, and an x% chance to apply a bleeding affect, which does x% of player's total damage a second. ()

War hammers: Have an x% chance to ignore x% of the enemies defense, and an x% chance to do a critical hit for x% damage. They also have a chance to stun an enemy for x% chance for x amount of seconds. (Going above 100% has a chance to roll another critical hit. Critical hit bonus is multiplicative)

Archer Weapons

Archer weapons will be divided into bows and crossbows. (and maybe some blowpipe type weapons?)

Bows are stronger than crossbows, however, they shoot slower. Bows use arrows as their type of ammo.

Bows have an x% chance to shoot an extra arrow (does not consume an arrow from inventory) that have a 100% chance of dealing a critical hit. (Does stack with other critical hit bonuses.)

Crossbows are weaker than bows, however, they shoot faster. Crossbows use bolts as their ammo, however, some crossbows can have arrows as an ammo type.

Crossbows have an x% chance to apply a bleeding effect, which does x% damage over time based on the player's total damage.

Mage Weapons

Mage weapons will be divided into wands, staves, and tomes (Ooh)

Wands are 1 handed weapons, meaning they can be dual wielded or equipped with a shield. Wands attack faster than staves, however, they do less damage.

Wands have an x% chance to ignore x% of enemies defense.

Staves are 2 handed weapons, therefore you can only have the staff equipped. Staves are stronger than wands, however, they attack slower.

Staves have an x% chance to deal ((x / 1.35)% + 1) times more damage, where x is equal to the player's magic stat.

Tomes work differently than wands and staves, in the sense that certain tomes have their own stats and not tied to specific damage values or attack speeds. Kinda misleading (probably should come up with another name), but tomes are seen as a ball (or some other shape?) of aura in the player's hands. Tomes will mainly be gained through the specialization tree, however, there will be some that the player can find, buy and craft.

Gunman Weapons
For now I do not have much to say on this, but if something should be implemented for this, it would revolve around pistols, assault rifles, semi automatic rifles, high powered weapons. (That includes things like shotguns, snipers, missile launchers, etc.)
(Probably will come back to this later)

Skill tree and whatever
The conflicting issue here is having a skill tree and the specialization tree. Having to invest into two different things with 1 point per level would get annoying quickly. My solution to this is to have skill points, which are meant just for the class tree, and specialization points, which are for specializations. The issue that this also comes across is players wanting to change specializations or wanting to specialize into multiple weapons. For obvious reasons, this is an option that can be reset through coins (or if a player does a class reset), but I still feel as if there are a lack of points for the system.

Player's can also gain points for a specific weapon, based on how much they use it. Once a player reaches the exp threshold for a weapon type, they gain a point that can spend in that specialization and that specialization only. For example, if you gained a specialization point in swords, that point can only be spent on swords.

Robby
Site Admin

Re: Some combat changes.

Post by Robby » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:39 pm

Thanks for the detailed suggestion! I must have missed this one. These are some good suggestions, and I was thinking that it would be nice to differentiate big/small melee weapons so that they felt a little different. These suggestions seem pretty good. I plan on implementing some type of skill tree, and I plan to make the skills a lot better than how they are in Helmet Heroes. I'll keep your suggestions in mind for the future. Lots to work on, but I'll try and remember some things you mentioned.