Armor resistance balancing

Stuff you would like to see in the world of Eliatopia.
CrazyVanilla
Armor resistance balancing

Post by CrazyVanilla » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:44 pm

After doing some testing and experimenting with the armor resistance, I believe it's fairly unbalanced right now, but isn't far off from being balanced, and actually making PvP in general better / more balanced.

First, let's start with the major problem with this introduction, cowboys in PvP. Cowboy basically was reliant on poison damage for PvP since they are a "low damage high attack rate" class, in fair fights bullets usually only do a few damage per bullet. Without the help from poison, they are basically useless in PvP and do no damage at all. My solution is as follows:

- Give cowboy's normal attack a 2-3 times damage boost against players only

This damage boost should mostly make up for the lack of damage from the poison runes, while also allowing coinshot to become useful in PvP, which should fully make up for the loss of poison damage.

Now, onto the resistance mechanic in general. Currently the runes provide too much resistance when applied to armor, you literally only need a stage 1 rune on 4 pieces of armor and a stage 2 rune on the 5th piece and you are totally immune. This pretty much makes stage 2 and 3 runes useless for armor, not just "not worth upgrading", but actually literally useless. It also makes stage 3 runes on weapons pretty much useless as well since they can be resisted by stage 1 and 2 armor, which previously were the rarest and most beneficial.

My suggestion for this, is simply to cut the amount of resistance given in half. I'll use poison for example, but this is identical across all of the elemental resistances and should be applied to them all. (PR = poison resistance)

Current Resistance -> New Resistance
PR1: 2 -> 1
PR2: 4 -> 2
PR3: 6 -> 3

Current requirements to resist a P3 weapon: PR1 on 4 pieces of gear, and PR2 on the 5th piece of gear, totaling 12 poison resistance.

New requirements to resist a P3 weapon: PR2 on 3 pieces of gear and PR3 on 2 pieces of gear, totaling 14 poison resistance.

As you can see from the new requirements, you would actually be required to have at minimum 2 pieces of PR3 gear in order to resist a P3 weapon, which seems much more fair IMO.

Artemis

Re: Armor resistance balancing

Post by Artemis » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:40 pm

Support. Cowboi really bad in pvp without that poison. Gonna need to be buffed for sure
Goddess of the hunt

Flashlight237

Post by Flashlight237 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:07 pm

I personally prefer the PvP damage boost be put into Whipmasters instead of Gunmen myself, and even then I had it set to a much fairer 1.6x.

Anyway, weirdly enough, the way you had Poison Resistance here works pretty much the same way I had in mind, so I support that. Also, for other runes, fire and electric both do 15% per stage, so I think having their resistances dropped down to 3% (equivalent to Stage 1 runes put on a full equipment set + accessory) would be more balanced myself.

Also, the gunman's lack of damage is why I prefer to taut SLOW GUNS instead of fast guns. There are times where DPS works better and there are times where raw damage works better.

CrazyVanilla

Post by CrazyVanilla » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:23 pm

Flashlight237 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:07 pm
Anyway, weirdly enough, the way you had Poison Resistance here works pretty much the same way I had in mind, so I support that. Also, for other runes, fire and electric both do 15% per stage, so I think having their resistances dropped down to 3% (equivalent to Stage 1 runes put on a full equipment set + accessory) would be more balanced myself.
On armor, electric and fire do 7% resistance per stage per piece rather than the 15% they do on weapons, so halving that would make it 3.5%, pretty much in line with what you are saying here.

TheWood

Post by TheWood » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:40 am

I think it's better to just remove resistance to poison in pvp and make it a skill for everyone or a new skill for shields. The point of poison rune was to ignore your armor, but now getting good resistance to poison isn't hard and poison rune in weapons is useless in pvp.

CrazyVanilla

Post by CrazyVanilla » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:11 pm

bump

TheStone

Post by TheStone » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:45 pm

bump

TheStone

Post by TheStone » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:53 pm

TheWood wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:40 am
I think it's better to just remove resistance to poison in pvp and make it a skill for everyone or a new skill for shields. The point of poison rune was to ignore your armor, but now getting good resistance to poison isn't hard and poison rune in weapons is useless in pvp.
bump

CrazyVanilla

Post by CrazyVanilla » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:37 pm

bump part 2 cuz this is pretty urgent as cowboy is now useless in pvp.

Robby
Site Admin

Post by Robby » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:51 pm

Ok thanks for the suggestions! I'll lower the resistance like you mentioned, which should hopefully be out in a patch later today.

As for the cowboy PvP damage, I really wanted to keep the damage calculations the same across the board for players and enemies and for all weapons. I will try to see what other solutions I can come up with though. Maybe some new skills could help. If you have any others, feel free to post them. :)