Fishing Suggestion.

Stuff you would like to see in the world of Eliatopia.
Jakub34
Fishing Suggestion.

Post by Jakub34 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:26 pm

Fishing Mechaincs
It is really hard to decide on what exactly this should be, but I would like to see the simplistic route. When a player throws the fishing bob into the water, they wait for it to be tugged on. When the bob is tugged on, an "!" will appear, and the player has 1 second to click before the fish disappears. It will take anywhere from 10-15 seconds for a fish to tug on the bob, which both that and the reaction time stats can be improved upon.

Players do not require bait to fish, however bait does bring some perks. When players bind bait to a fishing rod, that fishing rod will have the perk from the bait so long as they have some. Fishing will always consume bait that is bound to the rod being used, even if it does not give what the bonus does.

Players will gain exp when they successfully catch a fish, which will be based upon the rarity. Levels in fishing will unlock more fishing rods, decrease the time needed to catch a fish, and increase the reaction time for catching a fish. If this gets looked at, I can go about making a more detailed list of bonuses.

Fishing Loot
Fishing loot will be divided up into four tiers, being common, uncommon, rare, and legendary. Common items have a 70% chance of being rolled, 25% for uncommon, 2% for rare, and 0.1% for legendary. The remaining percentage will be trash items, which I have an idea for if other things get looked into.

Legendary is the only thing really worth mentioning for the time being. Since there is not much in Eliatopia as of now, an item example you would get from legendary chance is a fishing rod that throws 2 lines instead of 1. Players will be able to bind 2 different or same types of bait to this rod. Every area (as in like grasslands, desert, tundras, etc.) has a special drop that is always guaranteed upon legendary for the first time. Like the fishing rod mentioned above, you have a 100% chance to get it the first time you get a legendary chance.

I guess this is all I will list for now and will think of stuff in the meantime. Some other ideas I have for skills are mining, crafting, chopping, foraging, and alchemy.

Flashlight237

Re: Fishing Suggestion.

Post by Flashlight237 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:17 pm

Eh, the mechanics you brought up are very prone to being cheaped out just like they were in Helmet Heroes. I mean first off, why would want the same insta-catch mechanics as Helmet Heroes? Personally, I think the 3D environment should be made use of by making fishing rods actually cast and reel like in Sega Bass Fishing and Cat Goes Fishing. That way, nothing can ever be cheaped out. You'd have to be stupid NOT to go the Sega Bass Fishing route with fishing. For real, watch and start taking hints: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPBkIvyiWuo

You got a big-butt lake yet all you wanna do is boring-butt edge-fishing. Throw the lure out, ya donkey!

----

As for loot, personally I think it should depend on the fish and not be one specific scale. It should depend on size or rarity of a fish. Like... These things.:

Like, say you catch a minnow. The chances of getting loot should be like this.:

Nothing: 30%
Common: 50%
Uncommon: 14.8%
Rare: 5%
Legendary: 0.2%

On the other hand, if you catch a bass, these would be the loot chances.

Nothing: 10%
Common: 60%
Uncommon: 20%
Rare: 9.5%
Legendary: 0.5%

And if you catch a really good one like a Sharpbeak Snapper or a Tapir Sturgeon, these would be the rates.:

Uncommon: 25%
Rare: 13%
Legendary: 2%

----

I think fish would be more useful if, instead of being consumables that just oversaturate the items, they would be used as wall mounts for decoration or something, pretty sure someone else can think of something better, but otherwise, chances are they'd be better off disappearing than being put in the inventory. Least that's my take.

Jakub34

Post by Jakub34 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:21 pm

Flashlight237 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:17 pm
Eh, the mechanics you brought up are very prone to being cheaped out just like they were in Helmet Heroes. I mean first off, why would want the same insta-catch mechanics as Helmet Heroes? Personally, I think the 3D environment should be made use of by making fishing rods actually cast and reel like in Sega Bass Fishing and Cat Goes Fishing. That way, nothing can ever be cheaped out. You'd have to be stupid NOT to go the Sega Bass Fishing route with fishing.
You'd be stupid to put something like this within an MMO. If you want a fishing mechanic (especially like that) that is "complex", then I do not think MMOs are the best games for you or any other player looking for complex fishing mechanics. I can already see a lot of players complaining about something like this. It is a lot of unnecessary time spent for one mechanic and for the players who care about efficiency are not going to touch this. To simply put it, fishing or any other mechanic like this SHOULD NOT be a mini game in any MMO. It should be kept to being really simple like throwing your rod into the water or at the very least, players have to click a certain amount of times before the fish gets away.

Flashlight237 wrote:
As for loot, personally I think it should depend on the fish and not be one specific scale. It should depend on size or rarity of a fish. Like... These things.:

Like, say you catch a minnow. The chances of getting loot should be like this.:

Nothing: 30%
Common: 50%
Uncommon: 14.8%
Rare: 5%
Legendary: 0.2%

On the other hand, if you catch a bass, these would be the loot chances.

Nothing: 10%
Uncommon: 20%
Rare: 9.5%
Legendary: 0.5%

And if you catch a really good one like a Sharpbeak Snapper or a Tapir Sturgeon, these would be the rates.:

Uncommon: 25%
Rare: 13%
Legendary: 2%
One thing I would have to say where Helmet Heroes went wrong was shiny fish. While I think it was a nice thing to see, it was an overall disaster. Most areas have god awful spawn rates on fish, and you have to worry about the fish cap. Combine that with having to roll the right fish and that fish having to be shiny, it just was not a good system. Now, in the case of this it would be entirely different, because the fishing system would not rely on the player waiting for fish to spawn, but instead they can go fish for the chance of something. While my system is not exactly a fix to it, it certainly is a lot better catching fish with 1 rarity than it is to catch a fish with 5 different rarities.
Flashlight237 wrote:
I think fish would be more useful if, instead of being consumables that just oversaturate the items, they would be used as wall mounts for decoration or something, pretty sure someone else can think of something better, but otherwise, chances are they'd be better off disappearing than being put in the inventory. Least that's my take.
Assuming we get something like guild castle or player housing, this would not be a bad idea. This would give players a way to show off what fish they have caught, and maybe some fish can even provide bonuses to player or the guild.

Flashlight237

Post by Flashlight237 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:38 am

1. I'm sorry, normally I'm a very reasonable guy and I am more than willing to keep my cool, but that is the STUPIDEST argument for NOT going with ACTUAL GOOD GAME MECHANICS I've ever seen. All this says is you HATE actual good game mechanics and prefer SHITTY ones. It pisses me off to no end to hear that you would stoop SO F***ING LOW as to dismiss SEGA BASS FISHING MECHANICS as being inefficient when in reality its SEGA BASS FISHING MECHANICS that would very well make fishing perhaps one of the best things in the game!
2. This has nothing to do with shinies. This applies to fish in general. Anyone with common sense would have gotten that.

Jakub34

Post by Jakub34 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Flashlight237 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:38 am
I'm sorry, normally I'm a very reasonable guy and I am more than willing to keep my cool, but that is the STUPIDEST argument for NOT going with ACTUAL GOOD GAME MECHANICS I've ever seen. All this says is you HATE actual good game mechanics and prefer SHITTY ones. It pisses me off to no end to hear that you would stoop SO F***ING LOW as to dismiss SEGA BASS FISHING MECHANICS as being inefficient when in reality its SEGA BASS FISHING MECHANICS that would very well make fishing perhaps one of the best things in the game!
Ah yes, you caught me. I hate good mechanics, because I do not like one mechanic. No, it cannot possibly be wanting to save Robby some time for adding something unnecessary to the game. Like I have already said, this is an MMO, not fishing simulator 2000. People do not want overly done mechanics for something that can simply be done. People are more worried about the actual game than they are worried about anything that does not pertain to killing enemies. heck, Helmet Heroes can already provide you with a great example of this. Why would I go fishing or chop some wood when I can just pay someone to do it? Players are trying to gain levels and earn money in an efficient manner, so they send players off to that stuff for them. Players already do not want to use the simplest form of mechanics and now you want unnecessary mechanics that makes fishing harder than it needs to be. All you get are players not wanting to touch fishing at all and the off chance that players would not do it even if they are paid. This sucks for Robby, because he spent a lot of time on something that could have been simplified, and this is unhealthy for the game.

Flashlight237 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:38 am
This has nothing to do with shinies. This applies to fish in general. Anyone with common sense would have gotten that.
It's called an analogy. I never said what you had in mind dealt with shiny fish. I explained why the shiny fish system was horrible in Helmet Heroes and then said it's better to have multiple rarities than to have multiple rarities for one thing. Unless you are suggesting something else, then you should probably explain it better.

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 am

I'd rather not have fishing as one of the best things in the game when we could have something like a decent story, missions, improved movement mechanics, etc.

Don't wanna turn this game into a fishing simulator.

Robby
Site Admin

Post by Robby » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. But yes, fishing is something that if added, won't be added for a very long time. I would like to focus on the core of the game as well as developing the story and such. Some nice fish have been drawn here though, perhaps they could be used as ambiance for the game at the very least.

Flashlight237

Post by Flashlight237 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:27 am

Jakub34 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:58 pm
Like I have already said, this is an MMO, not fishing simulator 2000.
I don't care if it's even Chess! You have to know, there's just putting something in a game (Helmet Heroes), and then there's putting something in a game and making it fun (Sega Bass Fishing).
Jakub34 wrote:
People do not want overly done mechanics for something that can simply be done.
Anyone with experience with classic games would not want something to simply be done. One of the reasons why some of the best games keep people engaged and stand out from the rest is because they DON'T "simply get things done." You're wanting the opposite of classic game logic by wanting things to simply be done.
Jakub34 wrote:
People are more worried about the actual game than they are worried about anything that does not pertain to killing enemies.
Excuse me, and what if people get sick of just killing enemies? That's right, they quit the game. That's one of the reasons why I want fishing to be a FUN side mechanic, not a simple and boring one like what you're vying for. I wanna actually fight the fish I catch on my lure so I can feel rewarded for having one as a wall-mount or getting a Pitchfork as rare loot from a bloomin' minnow. I don't want my fish to become lifeless as soon they bite the lure.
Jakub34 wrote:
heck, Helmet Heroes can already provide you with a great example of this.
People already think that's a crappy game; this just pouring salt to the wound.
Jakub34 wrote:
Why would I go fishing or chop some wood when I can just pay someone to do it?
Because you got sick and tired of doing it yourself because of how boring doing the same simple thing over and over again actually is. Simple=boring, that's my defense. Been that way for the entire argument.
Jakub34 wrote:
Players already do not want to use the simplest form of mechanics and now you want unnecessary mechanics that makes fishing harder than it needs to be.
Uh, as a gamer, it is within my right to WANT a challenge. No, I do not want "unnecessary" mechanics, I want mechanics that make things both challenging and fun. Is that hard for you or anyone in the HH community to understand? Besides, the same players you mention already one-shot monsters, which most RPGs (MMO or not) likely don't want you doing anyway. (And before you bring up WoW, that game already tells one-shotters to f*** off by making underpowered monsters provide diminishing or even NO returns, so don't even bother)
Jakub34 wrote:
It's called an analogy. I never said what you had in mind dealt with shiny fish. I explained why the shiny fish system was horrible in Helmet Heroes and then said it's better to have multiple rarities than to have multiple rarities for one thing. Unless you are suggesting something else, then you should probably explain it better.
When I literally said Minnow-->Bass-->Sharpbeak and not Minnow-->Shiny Minnow? You really want a potentially dirt-common Minnow to have the same chances of loot as a Sharpbeak? No no no no no. I didn't want any particular fish to be stupidly rare; it can be 70%-->20%-->10% for Common-->Uncommon-->Rare fish from my point of view. If I wanted shiny fish (which I personally think would work a LOT better on mobs than fish especially since at least my past ideas for shiny mobs would've actually worked if done right), chances are I would've wanted Legendary loot to be common from shinies and then we'd be getting into Trimps Heirloom tiering for rarer loot drops. Yes, I'm using Trimps because that's about the only game I know that went further than Legendary drops.