Damage indicator for players (and enemies too?)

Stuff you would like to see in the world of Eliatopia.
cinos
Damage indicator for players (and enemies too?)

Post by cinos » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:19 am

This is something I've thought about, what if, instead of some generic life bar, as some suggest, we instead had players bleed to indicate how much damage they've taken. Simply copy the poison rune effect, color it red, and have players who are below, let's say, 70% drop little blood pellets (p1 style), and those who are at around 10% or below drop a lot (p5 style). You can do the math yourself but it's interesting, and it would help indicate a player's state, since currently the only visually distinctive thing for an HP build and a glass cannon build is their character menu, and it's not exactly fun to have a giant window on the screen.

It can't be THAT bad on the performance, right? You can try this with enemies aswell, though those would require different particles (robots don't bleed, infact you could make this a specific aspect of their design, compared to a lot of the biological or biomechanical enemies).

it's...uh, something.
WELCOME TO THE AGE
OF THE CEBINAE!!!1111

ElkSlayer5

Re: Damage indicator for players (and enemies too?)

Post by ElkSlayer5 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:04 pm

I agree, but it should be something you can turn on in settings, not something automatically on.

MaxBlue01

Post by MaxBlue01 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:48 pm

Not sure if adding any form of blood is kid-friendly (remember, we are talking about a cartoon-ish RPG, which is likely to be played by immature and sensible kids).

I do agree that adding a visual HP indicator would help a lot. But realistically, if Robby decide to do something like that, it's very likely going to be a small HP bar under the player's name position (or over the character). Seeing a fixed HP state doesn't sound very helpful (especially in PvP). Most players will rather want to know "how much HP (or HP%) left my enemy has?" (with a bar: you can visually see how fast the HP bar is reduced at each attack) instead of "did my enemy reach <30% HP or not?" (without knowing how long it would reach 30% HP). As lot of peple says: simple is often the best. So let's keep it simple with a HP bar that is green, then yellow (50%) , then red (10-20%).

Ik you wanted to be original Cinos. But sometimes, being original might not be the most efficient way of doing things. There is no reason to be original about everything, when we already have effiicent ideas before (the Pokemon series keep the same HP system from the start). So let's not intentionnaly forget all the progress and evolution, and let's use those ideas to improve the game. No need to keep re-inventing the wheel everytime we need an idea to improve the game.

Flashlight237

Post by Flashlight237 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:09 pm

MaxBlue01 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:48 pm
Not sure if adding any form of blood is kid-friendly (remember, we are talking about a cartoon-ish RPG, which is likely to be played by immature and sensible kids).
This is an RPG whose story revolved around genocide and political nightmares with the main antagonist behaving basically like Kim Jon Un. Who cares if it's kid-friendly?

Joey__

Post by Joey__ » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:38 pm

Flashlight237 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:09 pm
MaxBlue01 wrote:
This is an RPG whose story revolved around genocide and political nightmares with the main antagonist behaving basically like Kim Jon Un. Who cares if it's kid-friendly?
im 11 :D
and i know all about this politics stuff

JoMan2

Post by JoMan2 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:13 pm

I mean we could do like 4 stages

First stage: 100%-76% hp nothing happens
Second stage: 75%-51% a tiny amount of scratches
Third stage: 50%-26% a bunch of bruises and bandages
Fourth stage: 25%-1% we can see internal organs and bones

TheWood

Post by TheWood » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:34 pm

JoMan2 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:13 pm

You can see scratches and bandages under the armor? About the last one, it's just too violent.

ElkSlayer5

Post by ElkSlayer5 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:42 pm

JoMan2 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:13 pm

I don't think you understand what he's saying, its dripping blood, not your heart hanging your your butt.

cinos

Post by cinos » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:59 pm

What wood said, there is a reason people bleed in, let's say, Dragon Ball. Blood is a natural indication of damage, it's a thing we experience quite often really.

organs is bordering on gore, not even something like Hellsing has the balls for like, guts.
WELCOME TO THE AGE
OF THE CEBINAE!!!1111

MaxBlue01

Post by MaxBlue01 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:41 pm

Flashlight237 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:09 pm
MaxBlue01 wrote:
Kids are more sensible to what they SEE compared to what they read. Pretty sure young kids won't understand like at least 50% of the story stuff (Never seen a young kid being knowledgable about complex politics or brain science). However, youngs kids can be more or less traumatised by what they see. We have to be careful of what we want to add to the game, and to think about all the age categories. Just because 80% of players are adolescents, doesn't mean we should neglect the others. I know part of what the kids do is also under the parent's responsibility, but even they can't look for everything.